RE: Cygwin-Xfree-Opendx Question

Have a look at the startxwin.sh script in startup-scripts directory under
/usr/X11R6/bin.  It is best you use one of the startup batch or script file
to start xfree86.

> 2.  I have updated cygwin with the latest release and I have
> downloaded the
> latest opendx for cygwin and installed it.
>
> I can now open dx (the dxscreen is larger than the Xfree86 screen)
> but it
> will not open a sample file.  The visual program
> editor comes up but not the file.  There are a number of messages.
>
> The first thing I will mention is that in running Xfree86 the
> "cygwin/tmp/.X11-unix" folder seems to keep getting lost.  Most of
> the time
> it shows
> up on the cmd.exe as not being found.

Ignore it.  It is harmless warning

> In dx the first file it couldn't find was LIBR_HDF.dll.  I
> searched and
> found where it was and included it in the path.
>
> It now is looking for libpng.dll.  There is a libpng.dll.a in
> C:/cygwin/lib
> but there was not a libpng.dll on the C drive.   I've included the
> way to
> libpng.dll.a in the
> path and it does no good.

You should have libpng.dll in /usr/bin? If not then you can do following
from bash shell

cd /usr/bin
ln -s cygpng2.dll libpng.dll