RE: X server crash from icewm

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Harold Hunt wrote:
>

> So it seems that the problem is with displaying Type1 fonts. Indeed I was
> able to crash XFree by simply running 'xfd -fn "-xfree86-*" .
>
> I disabled the xfree-cursor and all the lucidux fonts (by remming-out
> their lines in fonts.dir and updating the lines count in the first line of
> fonts.dir). That seemed to have helped a little. But I ended up
> remming-out all the others as well.
>
> Where exactly is the font path set? there is no /etc/X11/XF86Config . I
> saw /etc/X11/fs/config , but there seems to be no xfs running.

The used fontpath is compiled into xfree. You can set the fontpath with
the program xset. "xset fp+ path" appends the path to the fontpath "xset fp-
path" removes it. You can also specify the fontpath on startup. Either
for using a fontserver "Xwin -fp tcp/font.server.com:7100" or by specifying
the path directly "Xwin -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/misc". I prefer the
fontserver since you can configure the fontpath for xfs similar to the
fontpath configuration in /etc/X11/XF86Config on linux.

Xfs is started manually. If you have a linux box with a working X
installation, you can even use the fonts on the linux machine for Xwin too.
This helps saving a lot of diskspace.

bye
    ago
--