Re: installing xfree

$ mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive/d
$ CYGWIN=binmode; export
$ bash
$ sh Xinstall.sh
$
$ XWin -screen 0 640x480x8
could not open default font 'fixed'
$ mount
D:\Programme\cygwind\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
D:\Programme\cygwind\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
D:\Programme\cygwind on / type system (textmode)
c: on /cygdrive/d/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d/d type user (binmode,noumount)
$ echo $CYGWIN
binmode

..so mounting d: in binary mode doesn't change anything.

After installing Cygwin on D:\Programme\cygwin-UNIX with
Unix mode, the error disappeared.

$ mount
D:\Programme\cygwin-UNIX\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
D:\Programme\cygwin-UNIX\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
D:\Programme\cygwin-UNIX on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/d/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d/d type user (binmode,noumount)
$ echo $CYGWIN

The mode of / makes the difference. Then, I installed
Cygwin on D:\Programme\cygwin-DOS with DOS mode and tried to
mount / in binary mode. This failed.

$ mount -bs D:\Programme\cygwin-DOS
mount: /: Device or resource busy

At this point, I have to face that getting Xfree86 to work
requires an installation of Cygwin in Unix mode.  It is not
possible set Cygwin entirely to binary mode if the installation
was in DOS mode before.

Frank