problem with extract.exe

I have searched the archives and can not find an answer to this problem. I
am at my wits end. No matter what I try, I can not get X to install. I have
tried all the semi-related potential solutions with no luck. Linking
/usr/bin/tar.exe to /tmp/extract.exe Copying /tmp/extract.exe to
/tmp/extract But, with the directory structure intact as indicated in the
User Guide, I get the following:

dmonk@DMONK-NT /tmp
$ ls
Xbin.tgz   Xfcyr.tgz  Xfsrv.tgz    Xlib.tgz   Xprt.tgz    extract.exe
Xdoc.tgz   Xfenc.tgz  Xhtml.tgz    Xman.tgz   Xps.tgz
startup-scripts.tgz
Xetc.tgz   Xfnts.tgz  Xinstall.sh  Xnest.tgz  Xvfb.tgz
Xf100.tgz  Xfscl.tgz  Xjdoc.tgz    Xprog.tgz  Xxserv.tgz

dmonk@DMONK-NT /tmp
$ sh Xinstall.sh

                Welcome to the XFree86 4.1.0 installer

You are strongly advised to backup your existing XFree86 installation
before proceeding.  This includes the /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11
directories.  The installation process will overwrite existing files
in those directories, and this may include some configuration files
that may have been customised.

If you are installing a version different from 4.1.0, you
may need an updated version of this installer script.

Do you wish to continue? (y/n) [n] y

Checking which OS you're running...
uname reports 'CYGWIN_NT-4.0' version '1.3.2(0.39/3/2)', architecture
'i686'.

chmod: changing permissions of `extract': No such file or directory
head: not found
extract doesn't work properly, renaming it to 'extract.bad'
mv: preserving times for `extract.bad': No such file or directory
mv: cannot unlink `extract': No such file or directory
mv: cannot remove `extract': No such file or directory
head: not found
extract.exe doesn't work properly, renaming it to
'extract.exe.bad'

The versions of 'extract' and 'extract.exe' you have do not run'
correctly.  Make sure that you have downloaded the correct
binaries for your system.  To find out which is correct,
run 'sh Xinstall.sh -check'.

When you have corrected the problem, please re-run 'sh Xinstall.sh'
to proceed with the installation.

dmonk@DMONK-NT /tmp
$

I'm sure this is known, but here it is anyway:

$ ./Xinstall.sh -check
Checking which OS you're running...
uname reports 'CYGWIN_NT-4.0' version '1.3.2(0.39/3/2)', architecture
'i686'.

Binary distribution name is 'Cygwin-ix86'

The last time I tried cygwin and X was right before this Xinstall.sh thing
came into play. Now, with that script and relying on extract.exe, it just
won't install.
Please help. I now have a need for this software.

David Monk
System Administrator
Encoda Systems, Inc
2862 Directors Cove