RE: speed of X server

Brian,

> I love the Xfree distribution under windows.  Of course, because
> of the cygwin
> layer, XFree in windows is quite a bit slower than XFree in most
> UNIX flavors
> on the same hardware.  I was wondering why this is... to get a
> handle on it.
>
> Windows, in general is slower than most Unix flavors.  That is the first
> problem, but then how does cygwin slow things down?  Does it have
> to do with
> DLLs?

I have WinME and Win2K installed on the same machine and Cygwin/XFree86
running on both. Cygwin/XFree86 is much faster on the Win2K compared to
WinME. WinME is usually slower because of the structure of the operating
system and the 16bit code.

But of course the XFree86 4/RedHat 7.1 on the same machine was faster but
Cygwin/XFree86 on Win2K was comparable

> Long Live Open Source!!!
Open Source Rocks!! :)

Shams

--

Shamsul Arefin Shaikh, BSc (Hons) in CS, MCSE, MCP, CNA
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science