Manuel - Support of Win98 ?

Hi,

I am running “Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222 A” on a “Pentium II”.
Cygwin: Latest release (DLL version 1.3.2)

My problem has already been addressed by Ryan Hairyes on 24 Feb 2001. When
starting the x-server from the cygwin-bash (with startx) the x-server starts
with an xterm in it. Unfortunately no windowmanager is activated. The
following messages are written to the cygwin-shell

    _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
    winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
    winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
    winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
    winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000007
    winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
    winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Command line depth: 16, using depth:
32
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient width 640 height 480
    winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff RGB 8 d
32
    winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Returning
    error opening security policy file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
    cat: /home/m-pouchon/.Xauthority: No such file or directory
    cat: /home/m-pouchon/.Xauthority: No such file or directory
    cat: /home/m-pouchon/.Xauthority: No such file or directory

When I do the same by using the DOS-prompt (with startxwin), exactly the
same happens except that there is no error message concerning the missing
.Xauthority file. I can also get rid of the SecurityPolicy message by
creating an xserver – folder containing a copy of the SecurityPolicy file
(contained in 4.0.3 the distribution). However, this doesn’t help.

I know that Windows 98 was not supported when Ryan had the same problem.
Does the message “Cygwin/XFree86's development server has stabilized” (14.
April 2001 in the latest news) mean that it is supported now?

First I had installed the 4.0.3 binary files (all of them).  After having
this problem, I installed the 4.1.0 binary files (all of them), I then found
that “libz.dll” was missing, I then copied this dll contained in the 4.0.3
distribution to the ..\bin directory and had again the same problem (no
windowmanager). Then I installed the 4.0.3 binaries again and tried to
overwrite with the 4.1.0 binaries. Maybe this is stupid, I am not good at
these things, sorry about that. However none of these combinations worked.

Please tell me whether I do something completely wrong. I am quite new to
UNIX related problems.

I want to use OpenDX on this x-server. Could there be further problems
concerning Win98 or any version of the programs I am using?

Thank you very much
Manuel

Manuel Pouchon
mpouchon@hotmail.com