Re: Copyright [cgf, please comment]

Chris Wolfe wrote:

> Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
> [snip]
> > I am not sure about it.  The point of dispute is someone taking prior work
> > and rewriting and inserting his copyright notice and authorship,
> > intentionally
> > omitting and refusing to incorporate major part of existing work which
> > points to that his work is borrowed from others.  That is a copyright
> > infringment itself.
>
> Could anyone who wants to indulge in completely useless and
> damned annoying personal sniping please resort to doing so in
> private? As much as I enjoy knowing what is planned for the
> future of the project, this sort of infantile behavior gets on my
> nerves.
>
> Copyright in the US protects the presentation of a work, *NOT*
> the informational content. Duplicating the informational content
> in a new presentation results in, guess what, a new copyrightable
> work. I believe Harold has pointed this out half a dozen times
> already, but it does not seem to have registered.

In an open source project the question should not be 'Is this legal
acceptable' but 'Is this moral acceptable'. And I'm in the camp of Suhaib that
on a FAQ page of an open source project not one person should have a copyright
clause on it because he formatted the knowledge of several people in a nice
way.
Maybe we can change the copyright clause to a maintainer clause (Maintained
by: ...) (with maybe also the list of old maintainers) ?

greets,
Staf.