Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:28:11PM -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
>This thread is dead.  However, let me explain last time.  Xfree86 owns
>nothing but hw/xfree86.  Rest of the libraries come from other sources.
>Once we know there is a project and someone comes an puls zlib from
>gzip and stick somewhere, other guy coms in and take xpm and stick else
>where...

Again, zlib came from Chuck Wilson.  He was maintaining it on his
cygutils site and eventually migrated it to the cygwin distribution as
the new setup method matured.  This happened on 2001-07-29.  I don't
know if the sharable library was built then or not.  I could probably
find out but, you're right that this thread should die.

Howeve,r I can see why the xpm and other libraries would cause you
problems.  But, I note that there are xpm libraries in both /usr/lib and
/usr/X11R6/lib on linux, too.  Of course, Linus doesn't have to deal
with Stupid User Complaints (tm) and you do.

>third one comes and downlaod freetype and stick elsewhere...  fourth
>one comes and downlaod another fonts library and stick into somwhere...
>all knows that there is aproject which depends upon Cygwin and use
>these libraries...  is not that forking or a fun to compile dlls for
>fun?  Ultimately creating a headache for others...
>
>Anyway, if libfreetype and a fwe others starts appearing in contrib
>directory i will just take off instead of dealing with forking of dlls

I can't imagine any reason for putting a font package in the general cygwin
distribution.  But, I'll tell you what, I'll let you have veto power over
that one if it comes up.

cgf