Re: [ANN] SecurityPolicy File and Keyboard map

OK, here are the results :

                Xwin        Xwin.test.10    Xwin w32

F12             kill         F12            F12
PrintScreen     KP_mult      PrintScreen    handled by windows
Pause           NumLock      Pause          Pause
<>              nothing      <>             <>
AltGr           Alt          Alt            AltGr
RightShift      LeftShift    LeftShift      LeftShift
RightCtrl       LeftCtrl     LeftCtrl       RightCtrl
KP_devide       *            KP_devide      KP_devide
KP_enter        Return       Return         Return
special keys    KP_specialkeys cf notes     special keys
3rd caracter    not working  not working    working

In Xwin.test.10 :
Alt is dead key (it should return Alt left)
F10 doesn't response in xev but freeze XWin until mouse click
Special : when numlock is on, the KP response with KP_specialkeys (should be
KP_numbers), but when it's off, the keycodes are those from the specialkeys. It
means that shift+KP7 says shiftpress, shiftrelease, homepress, homerelease,
shiftpress, shiftrelease. It should say : shiftpress, KPhomepress,
KPhomerelease, shiftrelease, like other keys are acting.

In Xwin or Xwin.test.10 :
except for what I said before, all keycode are tied to keys.

In Xwin w32 :
the keycode generated are those from the figures, not from the keys themselves.
For example, on french keyboard, the 2nd key on the fist row (normaly "1" and
"!" on US keyboard) is supposed to give "&" and "1". Here's what it gives :
"&" :
KeyPress event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x400001,
    root 0x25, subw 0x0, time 2252562231, (121,69), root:(180,411),
    state 0x0, keycode 10 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

KeyPress event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x400001,
    root 0x25, subw 0x0, time 2252562231, (121,69), root:(180,411),
    state 0x1, keycode 24 (keysym 0x26, ampersand), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "&"

KeyRelease event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x400001,
    root 0x25, subw 0x0, time 2252562231, (121,69), root:(180,411),
    state 0x1, keycode 10 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

KeyRelease event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x400001,
    root 0x25, subw 0x0, time 2252562401, (121,69), root:(180,411),
    state 0x0, keycode 24 (keysym 0x37, 7), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "7"

It's like I'm on a US keyboard doing shift+7

In the same idea, the KP_specialkeys are mapped to specialkeys, not
KP_specialkeys.

In conclusion :
Xwin (official or test) can't be used correctly for foreign because of AltGr
(the right Alt) not mapped and has some keys oddly mapped (especially KP).
Xwin (Win32) can be used with foreign, but because of mapping of keycodes to
figure, can't be used with programs reading the hard keys.

Hope that helps.

CU.
.                         \)|(/
.                         (o o)
.(_|                  Francis VIVAT                   |
.  |                    CETP-CNRS                     |
.  |  10-12, avenue de l'Europe  78140 Velizy         |
.  |             Tel    : +33 1 3925 4780             |
.  |             Fax    : +33 1 3925 4922             |_
.  |      E-Mail : francis.vivat@cetp.ipsl.fr         | )