RE: Test 7: Possibly a SILLY question...

I'll try to point you in the right direction, but keep in mind that I'm just
a lowly programmer of X; I'm not all that good as a user of X.

I can tell you that the color is known by the time the call to draw the
window border is made; this color is decided by the window manager as the
window manager owns all window borders and other such window manager stuff.
Therefore, the window manager, vtwm by default in Cygwin/XFree86, would be
the place to look for configuring the window border colors and such.  Colors
inside of a window will be determined by the specific application in
question, say xterm; those settings will be specified on a per-application
basis, either via command-line parameters, configuration files, default
values, or what-not.

Modify your startxwin.bat file to illustrate which colors are controlled by
the window manager and which colors are controlled by your application,
xterm in this case.  First, run your unmodified startxwin.bat; note what is
drawn.  Second, REM out your window manager, say, vtwm.  Run this modified
startxwin.bat; note what is no longer drawn, those things that are missing
are drawn by the window manager; anything still present is drawn by the
application, xterm in this case.  Colors are specified by whichever
application draws a particular object on the screen.

Good luck,