RE: anoncvs...

Julie,

I downloed the XFree86 source tree using the pserver method described at:

http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/#pserver

From the Cygwin shell just type:
CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.xfree86.org:/cvs
export CVSROOT
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.xfree86.org:/cvs
cvs login (use password: anoncvs)

now you are logged into the cvs server, type:
cvs checkout modules
cvs checkout xc

xc will take forever to download, depending on your throughput, so you may
want to come back the next day.

Our source code is primarily located in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin.

You may want to download my source code when you want to start testing new
ideas, as I have cleaned up the formatting and recoded nearly everything
that is currently in CVS.

You may want to make a copy, or tarball, of the clean source tree before you
do any compilation, otherwise you'll have to do a 'make clean' before you
download a new source tree... and even then you might still have problems.

To build, do a 'make World' in the xc directory.  Then, cd to
xc/programs/Xserver and type 'make XWin.exe'.

Oh, have you had much experience with Perl?  As you may have read, I am
currently stuck at the stage of trying to mix #includes for X11 with ms
windows headers... Wine has addressed this problem with a Perl script that
rewrites the X11 headers automagically to prevent naming conflicts... we may
have to do something similar, so some Perl experience would be helpful.

Thanks for your interest in the project,