RE: Remote Server XDMCP

> I wa hoping someone could help me.  I would like to setup XFree to connect
> to my Linux server via XDMCP.  I have found various messages in
> the archives
> and I think I am almost there but I running into a few issues.  The first
> issue is that when I specify the -query option to XWin, it kills TCP/IP
> stack.  I am do not get any errors stating such but am not able to ping
> anything even my IP address.  I am running NT workstation SP 6 and using
> XFCE.

I am not sure why TCP/IP stack would be killed by -query option.
I noticed a few users are using -query option and none reported
TCP/IP stack problems.  Could it be possible you need to reinstall tcp/ip
protocols, and they ae corrupted on your machine?

> Secondly, which version of pthread.dll should I use for XFCE?  On the
> download site there are 3 versions.

Any latest pthread.dll would do.  It uses only 4 export symbols from it
and they are in almost all the versions of pthread.dll.

> I am unable to get the Gnome interface to work, when running in non-XDMCP
> mode.  Do I need to edit the configuration files manually beyond selecting
> the option from the XFCE desktop options?

Gnome? I have no idea.  I did not port it to Cygwin/XFree86.
Or are you refering to Gnome like interface of XFCE?  You can edit
configuration files.  XFCE config files are text files and can be hacked
easily.  Best place to search for an answer would be XFCE Home Page
and their mail archives.

> Lastly, I have forgotten to how allow remote x-clients from other machines
> access to the local server.  I found a message in the archives
> but have not
> been able to find it again.

from bash
export DISPLAY=<your nt machine ip address>:0.0

or from DOS
set DISPLAY=<your nt machine ip address>:0.0

Suhaib