Re: Xfree86-4_0 installation problem

Thanks to both Suhaib and Hajime Murao!  Suhaib's idea,

start xwin :0

fails with the "Direct Draw Init Failed" error I had before.
I assume this has to do with the default screen resolution
of XWin, since the output says among other things

pwin->width = 00000500
pwin->height = 00000400

so it's apparently trying to create a 1280x1024 Xserver
on a 1024x768 display (my laptop is set up with 1024x768
resolution).

Hajime Murao's script fails with the same problem I had
described also in my previous posting (copied at the bottom
of this posting) -- as soon as I press a mouse button it's
all over.

I've played with the start-up scripts and if I put X applications
with a specific -geometry they actually show up on my screen.
So I've seen a functioning xterm with a shell running in it
(although it didn't respect the colors I set with -fg and -bg --
it came up with some strange, garish colors for some reason).

The mouse moves as it should.  But as soon as I press a
mouse key, the whole X background dies and I'm back in
the Windows NT interface.  The Xwin program is still
running and I have to kill it.

Any ideas?  Once it's solved I'd be happy to write it
up for others so they can avoid the problem!  The
mouse problem is a killer but I'd like to solve the color
problem too...

Thanks,
Soren

Here are the details again: