Re: Support platform/video driver combinations

> Rob:
>
> >    do you think it's worth compiling a list of known platform/driver
> >combinations that do (or do not) work?
>
> You are asking for a lot of contributors with all the possible video
drivers
> available in the world.  An openSource project could not possibly  do it,
> not even XFree86 Inc. which has a big list contributors and support
> from commercial vendors is unable to handle it.
I don't think Robert is really asking for this project to specifically test
all possible configurations... not even microsoft does that (as is clear
from the frequency of their patches). But it would be useful to have a list
of configurations that are known not to work... i.e. configurations that get
discussed on this list, and are found to not be workable, then those should
be recorded on the website.

Also, I concur that the win2k with CA810 motherboard (i.e. Intel 810
graphics architecture) does not work properly with the standard MS Win2K
drivers nor with the latest (this month) Intel drivers. I get the standard X
desktop with cursor, I can even get some windows & twm running, but since
the display is seriously crunched up and distorted whatever resolution I run
it in 640x480x16, 800x600x16, 1024x768x16, etc. I get exactly the same shape
and distortion of the desktop!

I tried to post this information some days ago from a different email
account, but discovered that that account is routed via an open relay that
is in the ORBS database. :( which resulted in redhat throwing out my email.

Tara,
Ben

| Ben Ketteridge: ben@lonparc.freeserve.co.uk. a.k.a. Gremlin/Grehm'lin |
|    "Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If he's a Mac    |
|     user he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy     |