RE: Samba install problems

DJ,

When running setup.exe from my Samba share, U:, I get the following log
results:
mbox fatal: Can't open latest/ash/ash-20000823.tar.gz.tmp for writing: No
such file or directory

/var/log/samba/log.bones contains the following error message:
[2000/09/11 13:57:51, 0] smbd/open.c:open_directory(1188)
  open_directory: unable to create disks/cygdown/latest/ash. Error was No
such
  file or directory

When running the same setup.exe on C: I get no such errors.

The following program fails as well, giving the same message in the Samba
log file:
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	int						iResult = 0 ;
	DWORD					dwError = 0 ;

	iResult = CreateDirectory( "U:\\disks\\cygdown\\latest\\ash\\", NULL
) ;

	if (!iResult) {
		dwError = GetLastError() ;
		cout << "CreateDirectory failed: " << dwError << endl ;
	} else {
		cout << "CreateDirectory succeeded" << endl ;
	}

	return 0;
}

However, CreateDirectory("U:\\disks\\cygdown\\latest\\", NULL ) works, note,
u:\disks\cygdown exists at time of call, but u:\disks\cygdown\latest does
not exist; it seems to me that Samba fails on CreateDirectory calls that
attempt to create nested non-existent directories.  I'm guessing that this
has to have showed up as a bug report for Samba, as CreateDirectory is
primarily used for creating several directories at once, so this has
probably been fixed after Samba 2.0.6, but I have yet to check for such a
bug report.

Harold L Hunt II
Phone: 800-850-1616 ext 108