RE: Installing cygwin/xfree : it works ! ( almost )

Hello Suhaib, and others who helped me! My work is in progress but I have still some questions.

I have completely removed my old cygwinb20 built with a full.exe file on April and I have re-installed a full cygwin version on June 27 using setup.exe from the latest directory at sunsite.org.uk. Then I got the latest binaries of XGGI, GGI libs, X11R6.4 and xfree86-40-fonts, but maybe I would need some other files ? I installed X11R6.4 and the fonts on /usr/X11R6, GGI libs on /usr/local and XGGI.exe in /usr/X11R6/bin.

I used localhost:0.0 as DISPLAY, GGI_DEFMODE=800x600[GT_32BIT] and finally XGGI -targets directx gives the GGI-on-DX window and I can run X clients such as xclock, xterm, xsetroot and the window manager twm (thanks to everybody who helped me), but still with some problems :

1. error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy when GGI-on-DX window starts. I can't find anywhere the xserver directory or the SecurityPolicy file in the downloaded files, so where is it ?

This is a waring and should not affect performance.  However you can create a directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xservers and copy SecurityPolicy to
it from a Linux machine if you do not want to see this warning.

2. xsetroot works only if there is another Xclient running (not really a problem).

Try seting $HOME.

3. xterm works but sends some warnings and one error :

Warning : locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
Warning : locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning : X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Failed to open input method

Get the Xclients from xc-4-binaries.  That was a bug Xlib in older versions.

I can type in the xterm window, but it is in qwerty mode although I have a french azerty keyboard! How can I convert xterm to a french keymap ?

4. The most important problem comes when running the window manager twm : the already running X clients windows (which are all at the upper left side of the GGI-on-DX window) are modified when twm starts and each window has the focus when the X cursor comes above it, but I can't move or resize any window. If I start a new X client while twm is running, I drag the borders of the new window under the X cursor but I can't fix the position by clicking on the buttons. It seems that twm does not catch the button press events! (I am using a touch-pad with 2 buttons, not a mouse)

Try other WM like vwtm from contrib directory.

Use Xmode to create .Xmode file or copy it froma  Linux box and do a set xmodmap to that file at the X-startup.
I posted about it when Xwin was released.  Check mail archives.

5. How can I shutdown X11 in a clean manner ? Actually, I can close xterms with CTRL D, but I kill the remaining processes and XGGI in the BASH window. Efficient, but not clean!

I think there is no clean mothd for now and GGI work had beend iscontinued due to John Fortin leaving the project.

Finally, I would say that you really did a great job in porting X11 on Cygwin. Although I have still some problems, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I will wait for your help on the mailing list.

Best regards,

Richard Grenon
40 Avenue de la Division Leclerc
92320 Châtillon - France