Re: newbie alert: xterm emulator

NO idea what are you trying to do.  If I understand
correctly. You installed on Cygwin and X11 libraries?
Right?  This would definitely give "Cannot open
Display"
You need the X-servers, which are not part of stock
Cygwin distribution.

Go to http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/xfree
Read first URl and FAQ, then FTp to:
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/