RE: install prob

> I had already moved the files from /usr/bin/X11 to /usr/X11R6/bin
> making sure the updated files replaced the ones from xfree86-bin.tar.
>
> I tried the startxwin from a dos prompt, got basically the same
> thing: A new dos window opens and gives just the first two lines of
> the error below. And two requestors come up one for xterm and the
> other for the window manager, saying "The application failed to
> initialize properly: (0xc0000022) press ok to terminate the
> application"
>
> Do I need any of the display drivers installed for the xwin.exe?
>
> Could this be the difference between a xfree development environment
> and a fresh install of cygwin and xfree86.

No!  The XWin.exe was tested with Cygwin 1.1.1 and worked just fine.

Which version of Cygwin do you have installed?  Are there more then
one cygwin1.dll in the PATH?  Try renaming the Cygwin1.dll, if any
in /usr/X11R6/bin to cygwin1.dll-bak, then restart X using startxwin batch
file.
If still same problem, then maybe your cygwin1.dll in cygwin install
directory needs
to be updated to a newest one?

Suhaib