Re: Compilation XFree68 Test results

     Hi,

     I'am particularly interested into your
     XFree86 Xserver port on Win32/CygwinB20.1/egcs1.1.2.

     And I CAN IF YOU WANT TEST and if I can find some
     problems. But I advise you that I'm newbie into
     X11 programming (BUT fortunatly not in C,C++
     cygnus env. and egcs).

That is all needed :-)

     I've dowload the whole package (ouafff !!! 45 Mo)
     and I began to test compilation.

I know.  I made available what I had and is working for me.

     In the zip attached you will find the result output
     of the make command under bash2.02 (WinNT4 os) :
     make World >& world.log,
     and two other files which list what I've compiled
     finaly (DLL, exe, .a)

I noticed what you are missing.  A few *.exe which needs libcrypt.a.
the fbdev does not compile at your workstation and several other libraries from Xserver/hw
are missing.  Which cf did you use?  Have you turned off a few things in Cygwin.cf?

     Here are some informations which can help you 'cause
     there are some problems into the process compilation :

     1/ It seems that under bash the makedepend do not works !
        (look at the log)
        I've have setup the gcc compiler in the makedepend.ini
        Why don't you generate dependancies with gcc -MM (or -M) ??

That needs to done.  Right now I tried to stick the way XFree86 people do things.
You are welcome to change it and send you fixes.  The Makedepnd in the latest sources
had ben modified.  These modifications fixed a lot of compilation problems, but introduced a
annoying bug, which needs to be fixed.  The bug generates same Makefiles 5 or 6 times.

     2/ Execution of the application xkbcomp during the make process
        make an error 'cause the freshly compiled are not in the PATH
        (then WinNT popup a windows and stop the execution)

huh?  it never happened to me :-)  xkbcomp compiled perfect here.

     4/ Some few other script executions do not work (look into the log
        line 28852 (some weird processing generating .i files !!)

These are known problems, and I mentioned them in my messages to the list and also at
the web pages.  However, those script are for S3 video driver accelators for Linux and are not needed
for Windows.  The Makefiles and Cygwin.cf wil be adjusted so it does not hit the xfree96/accel
directory.

     5/ It seems there is a problem during the compilation of other
        tools, like xterm, dur to makefile problem.

Which other tools beside xterm?  xterm compiles OK.  Most of the executables and tools in XFree86 require HASCRPT YES (i.e. libcrypt.a).

     What I do not understand is that cygnus/egcs couple is
     dedicated to Win32 (cygwin), THEN how do you deal with
     the low graphic layers of this monstruous bundle !!!!!!
     to have in final a Xserver which can be execute on WinNT ???

That is our aim :-)  If you have suggestions, please contribute.

Try XGGI/XFree86 sources if you wish.  The only good things with Xggi is that is runs independent of
hardware.

     Thanks for answer and your help,
     Hoping this mail will help you

     By by

     Herve

     | Dr Herve Poulard            | ACTIA                        |
     | Research Manager            | BP 4215                      |
     | Tel : (33) 5.61.17.68.07    | 25 Chemin de Pouvourville    |
     | Fax : (33) 5.61.55.42.31    | 31432 Toulouse Cedex 04      |
     | E-Mail : poulard@actia.fr   | FRANCE                       |
     |        : poulard@laas.fr    |                              |
     | X400 : s=poulard o=actia    | http://www.actia.com/        |
     |        p=actia a=atlas c=fr | http://www.laas.fr/~poulard/ |

     PS = Plz send your message to the two E-mail addresses.