Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33

Announcement
============

The XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 'test' package has been updated in the Cygwin
distribution.

Links =====

Server source, direct link:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/xwin-20040107-2315.tar.bz2
(137 KiB)

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin (all files) diff against 4.3.0-32 source code:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/xwin-4.3.0-32-to-4.3.0-33.diff
(113 KiB)

Changes =======

1) General - If you use the diff above, note that the Imakefile was
missing from previous tarballs, so this diff includes the whole
Imakefile.  I have updated my source packaging script so that this
does not happen again.  Also, the source code in this release has
already been committed to the xorg repository on freedesktop.org's
CVS.  (Harold L Hunt II)

2) winauth.c - New File - Move winGenerateAuthorization into this new
file.  This function generates a cookie to be used by the clipboard
client for authorization when using Xdmcp.  (Harold L Hunt II)

3) winglobals.c - New File - Start moving global variables into this
file.  (Harold L Hunt II)

4) winclipboardwrappers.c - New File - Move all clipboard wrappers of
ProcVector and InitialVector funtions into this file.  (Harold L Hunt II)

5) winprocarg.c - New File - Move winInitializeDefaultScreens and
ddxProcessArgument from InitOutput.c into this file.  The same will be
done eventually for other functions in InitOutput.c.  (Harold L Hunt
II)

6) win.h, General - Get started on removing "extern" declarations
from win.h by including explicit references to extern symbols in the
source files that use those symbols.  The long term goal is to start
breaking up the monolithic win.h header file.  (Harold L Hunt II)

7) Xserver/dix/dispatch.c/Dispatch() - Add hook to OsVendorReset
function that can be optionally defined in the DDX layer when
DDXOSRESET is defined.  (Harold L Hunt II)

8) InitOutput.c/OsVendorReset() - New Function - Send a message to
the clipboard client telling it to shutdown, then wait for the
clipboard client thread to exit before proceeding.  This allows us to
cleanly shutdown the clipboard client.  Incidentally, I noticed that
the previous code would spawn *additional* clipboard client threads
when the X Server was reset; this was happening because we trapped IO
errors and attempted to reconnect when they happened.  There was no
code that told a clipboard client thread to exit when the server was
being reset so that it could be replaced by a new clipboard client
thread (which was happening correctly).  This should lead to greater
stability across X Server resets, though I did discover that this
version and previous versions where shutting down after two or three
resets without any error message being logged nor exception being
thrown.  That problem will be looked into later.  (Harold L Hunt
II)

9) winclipboardinit.c, winclipboardthread.c, winclipboardxevents.c,
winclipboardwndproc.c - Fix problems getting killed by Xdmcp code and
remote XDM/KDM/GDM client on startup.  Fix problems not being
authorized to connect when using Xdmcp by calling XSetAuthorization
and passing it our cookie that was created earlier; this removes the
need to save the cookie to a .Xauthority file.  Watch the CLIPBOARD
selection in addition to the PRIMARY selection and track which was
changed within X last so that we know which one we should paste within
Win32.  Fix crashes when the server resets (as explained above, it
still exits after one or two resets, for an unknown reason).  The
improved clipboard code should now be good to go.  (Harold L Hunt
II)

10) winmultiwindowwm.c - Clean up the startup of the two multi-window
threads.  Create separate error and IO error handlers for the XMsgProc
thread since it was using the same IO error handler as another thread
and would try to longjmp into the other thread if it received an IO
error, which was likely causing some crashes.  The multi-window code
needs additional work to confirm that it properly shuts down and exits
both threads; something similar to the clipboard shutdown message in
OsVendorReset will be needed.  (Harold L Hunt II)

11) winclipboardxevents.c - Find and fix a last minute bug that caused
Unicode clipboard translations to be broken.  (Kensuke Matsuzaki,
Harold L Hunt II)

--
Harold Hunt

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Once you've downloaded setup.exe, run it and select "XFree86"
and then click on the appropriate field until the above announced
version number appears if it is not displayed already.

If your mirror doesn't yet have the latest version of this package after
24 hours, you can either continue to wait for that site to be updated or
you can try to find another mirror.

Please send questions or comments to the Cygwin/X mailing list at:
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

If you want to subscribe go to:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/

I would appreciate if you would use this mailing list rather than
emailing me directly.  This includes ideas and comments about the setup
utility or Cygwin/X in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin/X mailing
list is the appropriate place.