RE: SNR calculations (was Re: setup.exe missing from FTP site)

On 29 May 2007 18:12, Warren Young wrote:

> Brian Dessent wrote:
>> But when you just want to use dB to represent a unitless ratio, then I
>> agree with you it's simply 10*log(ratio).
>
> Yes, bytes are more closely analogous to volts (6 dB per doubling) than
> watts (3 dB per doubling).

  Says who?  If you ask me[*] bytes are most closely analagous to coulombs, as
they are usually represented by stored charges in tiny capacitors.  Except
when they're in transit of course, at which time they are more closely
analagous to photons (FDDI), or electrical current (copper wire), or ink
(printed on scroll of paper and wrapped around carrier pigeon's leg), or even
phonons (compression pulses in mercury column memory).

  Say, what is the square of a photon, anyway?

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - which you didn't, but I'm sure you were just about to, and I'm glad that
you did, because I've got a lot of uninformed opinions on the matter....