Re: HELP

Let's see how many netiquette rules were broken in posting to a public list...

According to Tariq Abbas on 4/19/2006 4:15 AM:
> HELP

Yeah - when you changed the subject line, you dropped the In-Reply-To
headers, so at least you didn't commandeer a thread.  However, since you
included the full text of a message from another thread, I suspect that it
is really a case of you having a bad mail client that doesn't know how to
respect In-Reply-To headers, and that had you used a real email client,
you probably would have violated this rule too.

> I really want to unsubscribe to this message group. Can someone please
> advise....

Ouch - you didn't read the list FAQ at
http://sourceware.org/lists.html#faq, including question 6 "Unsubscribing,
I'm desparate".  Otherwise you wouldn't have sent your unsubscribe request
to the list.

> "This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
> confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.

Ouch - you included an unenforceable piece of legalese trash at the botton
of your message.  This list is publicly archived, so any message sent here
is automatically world-readable, contrary to any claim in your footer.  It
is good netiquette to set up a webmail account that does not impose stupid
footers when posting to a public list, if your place of employment is so
bold as to attach a footer in your behalf.

> No
> confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by erroneous
> transmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately
> delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies
> of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
> disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
> not the intended recipient. Hilson Moran Partnership Ltd reserves the
> right to monitor all E-Mail communications through its networks. Any
> views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where
> the message specifically states them to be the views of Hilson Moran
> Partnership Ltd. All transmissions are checked for viruses but all
> recipients are advised to undertake their own virus checks as Hilson
> Moran Partnership Ltd will not take responsibility for any damage
> arising from virus infections".

Ouch - your footer is longer than your email!  It is good netiquette to
limit a footer to 4 or 5 lines at the most.

Oops - you posted raw email addresses in your message.  I munged them, but
you should avoid feeding spammers.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

> Subject: RE: HEADS-UP: Modular X11 (ALL maintainers, please read)
>
> On 19 April 2006 03:20, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

Oops - you put your reply on top of the message you were replying to, with
no context, and without trimming irrelevant parts of the original message.
 This is bad netiquette, since no one likes http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

Based on your track record, I hope your unsubscribe request goes through
quickly (and re-read that FAQ for ideas on how to do it properly).

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net