Re: DaveK's law of installation stability

Dave Korn wrote:

----Original Message----

From: Gerrit P. Haase
Sent: 12 July 2005 23:24

I still wonder why B20 was upadted.  This was the most stable,
never broken Cygwin release and I'm still running it without
the need to ask for support forever!

G.

P.S.: I'll tell you where to fetch the famous cygwin-B20
      tarball if you ask me to do so ;)

I've always kept a copy lying around as well!

  IIRC, there was also a copy in the cygwin time machine when I was there
the other day.  [checks]  Yep.

ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/b20.1/

  He's even got
ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/b19.1/

Wow, I was not aware that B20 ever was updated!

I got my copy here:
http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/Cygwin-b20.exe

It is just 16 MB, but it is an absloute sophisticated one-click-install
POSIX emulation!

They use it to drive their Modula-3 compilers: http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/

German HOWTO install Modula-3 on XP:
http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/informatik/praxis/programmiersprachen/modula3/installation/windows/windows.html

Translated shortref from this page:

- Install Cygwin-b20.exe
- copy cygwin1.dll to C:\WINDOWS\System32 !!!
- create C:\BIN
- copy SH.EXE to C:\BIN
- install PM3-BIN.EXE to C:\
- create C:\tmp\

READY

START --> Programs --> Cygnus Solutions --> Cygwin B20
Move around with the usual unix commands and if you find your .m3 files
and the m3makefile call m3build to invoke the compiler.

Isn't this great? Gerrit -- =^..^=