Re: [64bit] emacs is unable to call subprocesses if display-time-mode is set

On Apr  3 21:03, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr  3 14:00, Ken Brown wrote:
> > On 4/3/2013 10:05 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >I can reproduce the issue but it's tricky to debug.  The exception
> > >occurs in the forked process and GDB can't follow fork on Cygwin.
> > >
> > >Btw., can you create an emacs which is built without optimization
> > >and non-stripped this would simplify debuigging a bit...
> >
> > It was already built without optimization.  I'm working on building
> > a non-stripped version, but cygport isn't cooperating.  If you put
> > "RESTRICT=strip" into the .cygport file, then cygport doesn't
> > package the sources.  So you get a binary with debugging symbols,
> > but you don't get the corresponding sources.
> >
> > I'll send Yaakov a patch, but in the meantime I'm working around
> > this. It shouldn't be long.
>
> I'm still debugging this and something is very fishy when building
> the environment for a process-to-exec.  I tracked it down to a
> specific string duplication in Cygwin's build_env function which
> seems to overwrite administrative data on the cygheap for some
> reason I didn't quite follow yet.
>
> This may take some time...

I found it.  When using the display-time-mode option, emacs opens and
reads /proc/loadavg.  The problem was that the buffer allocated in
format_proc_loadavg is too small, so the subsequent sprintf overwrites
unrelated data on the cygheap.

In fact, this problem occurs on 32 bit as well, so I fixed it in CVS
HEAD in the first place.  It's kind of a miracle that this has never
been encountered in the 32 bit version before.  The problem exists
since at least Cygwin 1.7.10.

I'm going to build a new 64 bit Cygwin right now, which I will upload
in half an hour or so.  Please give it a try.

Thanks for the report and the instructions how to track down the
problem.