Re: Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:02 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> So, one alternative is to "leave room" -- bump ALL ABIs by 10 or so, for
> the 64bit versions.
>
> Now go ask Yaakov if he'd like that "solution" for the entire gnome
> stack -- where you have to know the DLL name, including the ABI#, for
> all the various dlopen() calls...

Thanks for saving my breath, because you're right, I'm absolutely
against this approach.  I can't even begin describing how wrong it is.

> Yaakov's already annoyed at me for the inequality between "standard" ABI
> version numbers and our cygwin ones, which are sometimes different due
> to historical accident or error, but we are now stuck with them.

True to a certain extent, but there were other ways of handling it (e.g.
why did libncursesw have to inherit the mess of libncurses/narrow?  It
could have been 5 or 6 instead of 10).  We could even have the chance to
undo some of this by starting from scratch with x64 if we wanted to.

Yaakov