Re: crossbuild cygwin-1.7.6-1 on linux x64

Corinna said:
Here's how I created the cross toolchain.  It's *very* certainly NOT the
official way of doing it, bootstrapping from scratch and all that, but
it works for slackers like me:

Hmm. Thanks.

This looks very similar to the procedure I was using -- except that I added --with-build-sysroot= and --with-sysroot= when configuring (*). I also disabled lto (**). I wonder if there is some reason a sysrooted cygwin toolchain doesn't work, that is unique to cygwin $targets (it would be odd if that were the case, but...)

Didn't you also need to modify libstdc++v3/crossconfig.m4? Without that, I get an error that it doesn't "know about this host/target combination".

I'll try again, carefully following your procedure instead of mine, and will report back on the main list.

(*) I also wanted to test the new sysroot support in libtool, but that's of lesser immediate concern. Getting something *working* is the important bit right now!

(**) Unlike earlier 4.x gcc's for cygwin, Dave's 4.5.0-1 .cygport configures with --enable-lto. However, I got an error (lto only valid on ELF platforms) so I think Dave's -src package might be missing a patch or two. Otherwise I don't see how it compiled at all, even natively -- unless maybe it was because he's using a private binutils? [Dave, if you want to follow up on this sub-issue, it probably also belongs on cygwin@]

--
Chuck