Re: Cygwin CWD vs. Win32 CWD (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.3.003-1)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:54:30PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>On 25 August 2010 21:40, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> Please see the patch below. ??Comments are highly welcome. ??Alternatively
>>> we just drop the entire jumble and keep the Win32 always in sync. ??I'm
>>> still wondering what other guys on the list think...
>>
>> I think posix compatibility should be preferred. I like:
>> ?? * the three different options (no_sync, sync_once, sync_always)
>
>What is the point of the sync_once option? If a Win32-using program
>can be made to work with sync_once because it doesn't invoke chdir(),
>then it will also work with sync_always. As far as I can see, this is
>needless complexity.

Ditto.  If we do this, I think it should be very simple.  I went back
and forth on the environment variable idea but chose not to do that
because I thought Corinna didn't like it.  :-)

>> ?? * the idea to link a .o so that one of the non-default options
>> ?? ?? can be selected without code changes
>
>cgf, did you get the .o idea to work?

It was actually a library but yes.  I generalized the mechanism to allow
-lbinmode -ltextmode, -lautomode to also finally work.

Like I said, I was holding of submitting it because I thought we were
still discussing whether it was needed or not. I guess I should have
let everyone know that I had something working.