Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.3.003-1

On Aug 23 08:53, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 22 August 2010 10:48, Andy Koppe wrote:
> >> That sounds good. ÂI would just like to point out that I'm still open to
> >> the Win32-friendly solution, if there's a majority in this thread who
> >> think that this is more important than the ability to delete some
> >> directory the Linux-way.
> >
> > I stumbled across another point to consider here.
> >
> > On Linux:
> > [....]
> > $ ls
> >
> > On Cygwin:
> > [...]
> > $ ls
> > ls: cannot open directory .: No such file or directory
> >
> > So actually this isn't properly Linux-compatible anyway, which makes
> > it less worthwhile sacrificing Win32 compatibility for, I think.
>
> Then again, only empty directories can be deleted anyway, and there
> isn't all that much of a difference between getting an empty directory
> listing and a 'no such directory' error. Hmm.

Actually, this works only for "." on Linux.  If you use any other path,
the error is the same as on Cygwin:

  $ mkdir foo
  $ cd foo
  $ pwd
  /home/corinna/foo
  $ rmdir ../foo
  $ ls
  $ ls .
  $ ls /home/corinna/foo
  ls: cannot access /home/corinna/foo: No such file or directory
  $ ls ../foo
  ls: cannot access ../foo: No such file or directory

Still, the point is, what is it worth to have this capability?

How important is more seamless Win32 integration compared with
uncompromising POSIX/Linux compatibility?  And backward compatiblity?

While I have an opinion, I'm not in posession of the final truth.

That's why I hope that more people on this list would express their
points of view into this matter, so we can get a consensus (and 1.7.7
out of the door) this week.