Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.3.003-1

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 08:35:06PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 20 11:39, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 05:09:20PM +0200, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> >* Corinna Vinschen (Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:33:17 +0200)

>> >Yes, the evil handles are gone.
>>
>> Sounds like a reason for a new cygwin release.
>
>Definitely.  I was planning to release 1.7.7 this weekend or early
>next week.
>
>> Did we ever come to a consensus on what to do with the Cygwin cwd stuff?
>> It sounded like people were reluctantly agreeing with my reluctant
>> proposal to not set the windows cwd to the pipe pseudo-location unless
>> chdir was explicitly called.
>
>I'm not really convinced that this is a good solution.  It is somewhat
>half-half, sticking to Win32 backward compatibility but not quite.  This
>hits Cygwin applications in the back in the first place.  How many POSIX
>tools actually call chdir?  Most shells, but otherwise?

I can't believe that I'm arguing for the Windows API but to counter the
argument: How many POSIX applications are confused by the inability to
delete the current directory?  I like that Cygwin allows you to do this
now but I'm wondering how much pain we'll be giving to previously
working hybrid Cygwin applications.

>My POV is the same as expressed in
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00541.html
>
>We should stick to POSIX (well, Linux, BSD, whatever) compatibility as
>much as possible.  Drawbacks in the Win32 API are not really breaking
>backward compatibility since compatibility means POSIX compatibility,
>not Win32 compatibility.  The latter is the task of Mingw.
>
>If this POV doesn't get much backup through the discussion process, the
>only really useful solution is, IMHO, this.  Since POSIX actually allows
>rmdir(2) to return EBUSY, we should go the entire way:
>
>- If the path is a virtual path, call SetCurrentDirectory (//?/PIPE/).
>- Otherwise call SetCurrentDirectory (new_cwd).
>- If that fails, call NtCreateFile to get a handle and
>  SetCurrentDirectory (//?/PIPE/) for the sake of the Win32 API.
>
>Since the workaround I created originally doesn't work since Vista
>anyway, we keep full Win32 backward compatibility and just give up
>on the Linux-like capability to rename or remove a CWD, while still
>maintaining POSIX compatibility.

Which workaround doesn't work on Vista?  The one in 1.7.6?