Re: 1.7.5: Occasional failure of CreatePipe or signal handing due to thread-unsafe code in cwdstuff::set

On Aug 12 22:47, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> 	* cygheap.h (class cwdstuff): Make drive_length private.
> 	Add "error" member.
> 	(cwdstuff::get_error): New inline method.
> 	(cwdstuff::get_error_desc): Declare.
> 	(cwdstuff::set): Change first parameter to pointer to path_conv.
> 	Drop unused third parameter.
> 	* path.cc (chdir): Drop doit.  Align call to cwdstuff::set to
> 	new arguments.
> 	(cwdstuff::init): Drop third parameter in call to cwdstuff::set.
> 	(cwdstuff::set): Partially rewrite.  Drop "doit" since it's not
> 	used anymore.  Always create new handle to CWD if not in a virtual
> 	path.  Check for accessibility to set correct error code.  Drop
> 	Vista workaround.  Never write back into PEB.  Set Win32 CWD to
> 	\\?\PIPE\ on init.  Simplify creation of win32 path.  Set new
> 	error member to a meaningful value.
> 	(cwdstuff::get_error_desc): New method to generate error message
> 	from cwd error code.
> 	* spawn.cc (spawn_guts): Call cwdstuff::get_error_desc to create
> 	more meaningful error message when not being able to start native
> 	Win32 app due to CWD restrictions.  When starting native Win32 app,
> 	lock cwd and use in calls to CreateProcessW/CreateProcessAsUserW.

I've checked in a revised version which

- speeds up exec startup by not calling cwdstuff::set from
  cwdstuff::init if the cwd was already initialized by the parent
  processes,

- which in turn simplifies the cwdstuff::set function a lot.

- actually closes the former CWD handle so we don't have a handle
  leak on every invokation of cwdstuff::set,

- contains much more comments now, so we hopefully still understand the
  code in a couple of months,

- last but not least adds a full set of documentation describing the
  restrictions on the Win32 API level.  I also added the Win32
  environment restriction we already have for years.

I mulled over the idea to convert the new cwdstuff::get_error_desc
method into a static array, but given that this array is only used if a
native Win32 application is NOT called, I dropped the idea again.

My tests are going rather well, so I hope I didn't screw up too much.