Re: 1.7.5: Occasional failure of CreatePipe or signal handing due to thread-unsafe code in cwdstuff::set

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:48:48PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 12 16:38, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Aug 12 10:12, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> > I've done some googling but I can't find an answer to this: Is it
>> > possible to create a directory which can't be written to - even by a
>> > privileged user?
>>
>> No.  I never came across a directory which is not writable under
>> SE_BACKUP_NAME conditions.
>
>What if we create a subdirectory like C:/cygwin/.for_win32_only
>for exactly this one single purpose, to redirect any relative
>Win32 calls there?

I guess that would be an acceptable compromise if the below doesn't past
muster:

On XP, at least, we could set the current directory to '//?/PIPE'.
That causes CreateFile to fail.  I used the program below to test
that.

  sh-3.2$ ./setdir '//?/PIPE'
  SetCurrentDirectory succeeded
  CreateFile failed, 123

I'll try that on other systems to see if it still behaves predictably.

cgf

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  if (!SetCurrentDirectory (argv[1]))
    printf ("SetCurrentDIrectory failed, %d\n", GetLastError ());
  else
    {
      puts ("SetCurrentDirectory succeeded");
      HANDLE h = CreateFile ("foo", GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL);
      if (h != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
	puts ("CreateFile succeeded");
      else
	printf ("CreateFile failed, %d\n", GetLastError ());
    }
}