Re: 1.7.1 release date?

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 05:28:25PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>cgf angrily wrote:
>>What we're talking about here is changing the way Cygwin releases are
>>done.  We're assuming that we will routinely make major changes which
>>break things and cause people grief and so we need to create a
>>directory structure allowing the unwashed masses to stay within the
>>bounds of various comfortable hippo-based release while the head of
>>Cygwin development marches on.
>>
>>I know that's what other projects do but this is not what we have
>>historically done.  The release-2 directory was supposed to be a
>>once-in-a-decade occurrence.  If that is not the case then we need a
>>lot more discussion than having people come up with their own
>>variations on hippo-related names.
>
>and later sarcastically added:
>>Or, we could have a formal discussion about totally changing the Cygwin
>>release model and not hide it in a mailing list thread with the subject
>>"1.7.1 release date" in a side thread about whimsical directory names.
>>The notion of having Cygwin "releases" is something that has to be
>>taken up with more than just the people in this mailing list.

There was absolutely nothing intentionally sarcastic in the above
paragraph.

>Apparently I did not emphasize well enough the extreme *rarity* of these
>"new" names -- which are *directory names only* NOT "releases" in any
>way. I mentioned "in 15 years" we could worry about running out of these
>names -- which translates to about five years between paradigm-breaking
>transitions.  cgf says 10 years apiece; but really, we're talking about
>the same *extremely* infrequent occurance.
>
>I did NOT mean to imply "changing the way releases are done" -- e.g.
>NOTHING like "okay, cygwin-1.9 will be capensis/,

The above attribution notwithstanding, I was responding to Corinna, not
you.  But, I was really responding to the notion that we should make a
fairly major change like this at this point of a release.

Maybe you've never been involved in a "what do we call it" discussion
before but, in my experience, they are never short.