Re: Filenames with Win32 special characters (or: Interix filename compatibility)

On Jul 29 17:01, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > Yes, that would let me check out both files, but not verify that our
> > > repository is compatible with case-insensitive systems...  I have no
> > > control over the flags the users set on their directories.
> >
> > But you have control over the user's CYGWIN variable?  Other than that,
> > you can check if you have a case-insensitivity compatible repository
> > by examining the CVS/Entries file.  You could also check out on a
> > case-sensitive FS and test the file names.
>
> I have control over my own CYGWIN variable, and with it I can check if our
> repository is not friendly to case-insensitive filesystems.
>
> So now we have to write extra scripts.  Joy...

Igor, we mentioned more than once over the last couple of years that the
check_case stuff was a really bad hack at the best of times.  It was
added 7 years ago specificially for a customer who complained about
having no real case-sensitivity.  We couldn't easily add case-sensitivity
to Cygwin back then so we created this awkward compromise.  But we can
have case-sensitivity now so there's really no good reason to stick to
this awkward hack.  Is that unreasonable?