Re: Fw: File name too long problem -- maybe fix coming?

On Jan 10 12:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan  9 06:53, Eric Blake wrote:
> > According to Corinna Vinschen on 1/9/2008 5:44 AM:
> >> Actually, for a couple of weeks I'm already wondering if we shouldn't
> >> better set PATH_MAX to 32000 or even a smaller value like 16384.  That's
> >> still a darn long path and it's much more safe to handle.
> >
> > If we follow Linux' lead, then set PATH_MAX to the largest sequence we are
> > willing to handle at once (even 4096 would be fine by me) in the arguments
> > given to most syscalls, provided that we also support the ability to access
> > files with longer names by using relative paths that fit within PATH_MAX
> > (for example, with the addition of *at functions).
>
> Apart from that, you are suggesting to differ consequently between the
> externaly handled POSIX path length as defined by PATH_MAX, and the
> internal max path length which would be something along the lines of
> 32K for obvious reasons, right?
>
> That sounds like an interesting idea.  Maybe we should really just
> restrict PATH_MAX to 4K as on Linux.  "Nobody will ever need more than
> 4K bytes long pathnames"(C).

Given the overwhelming participation and the enthusiastic approval, I
added a define NT_MAX_PATH (32768) in winsup.h for usage in internal
path name buffers and checks.  include/limits.h now defines PATH_MAX as
4096, being the maximum path length taken from applications calling the
file API functions.

A couple of days ago I checked in the patches so that most of Cygwin
should now work more or less correct with UTF-8.  Especially the console
code might still need some improvements.  For testing, set the env variable
CYGWIN to "codepage:utf8" and the LC_CTYPE valriable to "C-UTF-8".  The
later is needed for the multibyte functions in newlib to work correctly
with utf8.