Re: Forking Win32 process?

On Jan 27, 2008 5:15 PM, Christopher Faylor
<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 01:43:13PM +0300, Dmitry Bely wrote:
> >Ah, is it up-to-date info and fork() really doesn't work with the
> >current cygwin? If so, why this is not mentioned in the docs or
> >somewhere?
>
> Because of our motto: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM.

OK, do you think that updating the FAQ for this specific issue is a
bad idea? Who could do that?

> >Is it really impossible from the technical point of view?
>
> Of course it is not impossible.  I doubt that anyone would be interested
> in implementing this however.  The main focus of the project is to make
> things work for the standard case of linking cygwin1.dll into a program
> and creating a "cygwin program".  Getting things like fork() working
> with MSVC or MinGW programs is not something that anyone really wants to
> do.

Sometimes it's needed (as in my case :) but your point is taken. BTW,
I have seen in the archives that several years ago someone tried to
implement the native fork() via NT kernel call
NtCreateProcess()/ZwCreateProcess(). Did these efforts succeeded in
any way? Is there any working solution (performance is not a
question)?

- Dmitry Bely