Re: Fw: File name too long problem -- maybe fix coming?

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:12:22PM -0800, Gregg Tavares wrote:
>As far as I know the largest any widechar character will be expanded to
>is 4 bytes so that means PATH_MAX has to be set to either (260 * 4) or
>if you're going to go for the 32767 NT limit then PATH_MAX needs to be
>set to (32767*4) because that's the Linux Compatible public interface
>limits that will make cygwin work regardless of the current codepage.
>
>That also means internally cygwin seems to need to use a different
>constant like CYGWIN_INTERNAL_PATH_MAX if it's going to use widechars
>internally.  Internally it would use 32767 widechar size filename
>buffers.  Externally it would accept and supply 128k 8bit character
>filename buffers.

Yes, we know.  You can't set the path max any higher than it is for the
ASCII functions which is one of the reasons why Corinna is moving all of
the path-handling to use the unicode variety.  One of the main
motivators for doing this is to use the 32K path limit.  If you take the
time to look at what's been done in CVS you'll see that Corinna
increased the size of the path on 2007-10-10.