Re: The GetCommandLine/WinMain "problem"

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:52:12PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>cgf wrote:
>...I came up with were
>  run.exe
>  checkX.exe (my new utility in rxvt-unicode-X)
>  tclsh[84].exe
>  wish[84].exe
>
>cgf, since you maintain the tcl/tk stuff, you've got as big a stake in
>this as ago and I put together...bigger, 'cause run and checkX are tiny
>little utilities.
>
>>I'd like cygwin programs to just not worry about the windows command
>>line (or windows environment variables) at all.
>
>The only progs who really should care are those that are explicitly
>doing something funky with process creation and console manipulation
>(like run and checkX) or are pretending to be native programs anyway
>(like tclsh and wish).

I didn't think to look in the cygwin release for GetCommandLine
offenders but, with the exception of checkX, there are no surprises
there.  It is not the stuff that is under our control that I'm worried
about.

I'm more worried about the "My company has 1042 workstations which use
a custom app that relies on GetCommandLine" type of unknowns.

I will have to open this question up to the cygwin list eventually but I
wanted to see if there were any obvious gotchas first.