Re: 1.5.19: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

On Jan 26 22:48, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
> > First reported in <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00817.html>.
> > Here's a short summary: fork failes because pinfo doesn't initialize,
> > pinfo reports a loop because PID_EXITED is set.  Still getting this with
> > the latest CVS build.
> > [snip]
> > I would like to figure out what's causing this.  My main question is: am I
> > on the right track here?  What else should I look for?
>
> Am I on the right list here?  I am getting consistently plagued by this
> after I run a particular script at work (that creates and sometimes kills
> lots of short-lived processes).  Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to post
> the script itself, and it's possible that there's something peculiar to my
> setup that's causing this issue.  But I'd like to get to the bottom of
> this.

I'm not overly familiar with pinfo stuff myself.  Could you reduce the
script to the bare minimum to have a reproducible testcase, at least?
Does that only happen under high load in, say, an ssh session?  Maybe
you're just suffering from the small heap problem Chris reported some
weeks ago (the one which requires to change the registry key).
Otherwise, if that's not the problem, maybe you should try to vary the
number of iterations in the pinfo::init loop to some arbitrary high
value.  If the problem persists, it's likely not the loop itself which
is causing problems.  Do you have any other error message in strace
which would give a hint about, say, a process hanging while exiting or
something like that?