Re: Problems compiling cygwin from CVS - Undefined symbol

bkeener wrote:

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

local modifications or something, but I resolved the problem by deleting tlsoffsets.h and forcing it to be regenerated. Once I did that, I was

Tried that too - but no luck yet - I'll find it - back to the basics. Thanks for the responses from both you and cgf. I know he's right about cockpit error - it's just so dang irritating that I don't know enough to track it down.

Brian,

The #1 rule of troubleshooting is you need to eliminate the possible before you waste time on the improbable. Check your environment, make sure there are no variables which might be accidently picked up by gcc, gas, or ld. If all else fails there is something which will work.

We all know that, more then likely, NTFS/FAT will fragment and possibly corrupt files if Windows crashes during a disk i/o operation. There are times in the past where I've suspected this to be the cause of unexplainable failures I've had. Maybe a linker script was fragmented into oblivion or a gcc library corrupted, I don't know. You could spend hours or days trying to track this down. But why waste time when you could go for a more simplistic, albeit sledgehammer-like, approach:

1)Make a patch containing all of your local changes and verify that only
  your local changes are in it.
2)Backup any personal settings files, etc.
3)*Completely* remove cygwin and all of its files.
4)Remove all Cygnus Solutions keys from the registry.
5)Remove all environmental vars/services from control panel.
6)Reboot.
7)Install from scratch.
8)Check out a fresh source tree from cvs and *verify* you can build it
  *before* applying any local changes.
9)Reapply local mods and re-add personal files.

As one might expect, this almost always (%99.9) does the trick. If that doesn't do it, then I might suggest you're experiencing hardware problems.

Cheers,
Nicholas