Re: [corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com: Re: ENOTSOCK errors with cygwin dll 1.3.21 and 1.3.22]

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:44:39PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> 4) When starting from Windows, the cygheap is plain memory. When
>    started from Cygwin it is file mapped.
> 5) The file mapping is created with sec_none, which causes a default
>    security descriptor to be used. Those usually give rights to
>    Administrators, but not to the setuid'ed user.
>
> There are some holes in this explanation... I don't have access
> to machines exhibiting the problem. A quick check (Jason ?) would be
> to change "sec_none" to "sec_all" on line 85 of cygheap.cc and see if
> that affects the behavior.

I tried it and it doesn't change the behaviour.  WSADuplicateSocket()
still returns WSAEINVAL.  Too bad, the idea was stunning.

However, what if it's just the wrong parameter?  Come to think of it,
the 2nd parameter is the own process id.  What if the access to the own
process is limited from the unpriv'ed users perspective?

The next try would be to change the access to the process handle, right?

Red Hat, Inc.