RE: Contemplating drastic change to mount handling

I figure I would mention that there is a _much_ more compact representation
than single character tries that is also fairly easy to construct.
It is called a Multi-character Trie (or McTrie)

It is almost unknown outside of the IR community but it is fairly easy to
code for
and is usually more compact than a read optimized B+Tree and faster for
retrieval than
a single character trie.

Information Processing and Management: an International Journal >archive
Volume 29 ,  Issue 2   March-April 1993 >toc
Multi-character tries for text searching
Authors
 Lorraine K. D. Cooper
 Alan L. Tharp

Publisher
 Pergamon Press, Inc.
  Tarrytown, NY, USA
  Pages: 197 - 207  Periodical-Issue-Article
  Year of Publication: 1993
  ISSN:0306-4573

If you local library can't get you access to a copy I can fax you mine.

Jim Mochel