AGGHHH I just "upgraded" to the latest gcc.gnu.org gcc

I just upgraded my linux cross compiler to the latest version from
gcc.gnu.org.  The compiler built without a hitch.  I rebuilt cygwin and
now it loops in an exception (as far as I can tell).

So, I fire up the debugger to see what's going on and it crashes.  So, I
rebuild a new debugger and it crashes.  My trusty old stable gdb from
last May crashes, too.  There's some problem reading raw symbols when
they have no STABS information attached to them.

So, I decide to rebuild absolutely everything.  Newlib flies by but I
can't rebuild libstdc++-v3.  It absolutely refuses to build.  Problems
in libtool.

So, I try to update my libtool via RPM.  It has many dependencies.  And,
some programs depend on the packages that libtool uses so I have to
update them.  That eventually means I have to update my libc.

I finally get libtool updated.  Same problem in libstdc++-v3.  I fix a
bug in the configure script and that gets me a little further.  Lots
of multiply defined errors, though.  In desperation, I try "make -k".
No dice.  Apparently configuration for libstdc++-v3 is confused wrt
newlib or something.

This is two days and counting.  I'm doing all of this while in the
middle of my "real job".  Thank God for phone meetings.  I have honed my
input caching ability to a fine level.  "Chris what do you think of that?"
"Huh, what?"  (screetchy sound of tape rewinding) "Oh.  I think we
should schedule it for next month."

Anyway, has anyone tried rebuilding cygwin from an up-to-date gcc,
binutils, ld, etc.?  I like to do this regularly so that I can adapt to
gcc "improvements".  This time the improvements seem to really have the
upper hand.