RE: setup wishes -- any volunteers

Uh, a small voice from the past here.  If no one else volunteers I will look
into this after I get back from my honeymoon, mid-April.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cgf@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 10:13 AM
To: cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
Cc: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: setup wishes -- any volunteers

It would be "real nice" (tm) if setup could be modified to do too things:

1) Understand simple dependencies (relatively easy?):

	If you download gcc, you need cygwin and w32api.
	If you download bash, you need cygwin.

2) Have some way of viewing categories of files:

	Source Code development:
		gcc		The GNU Compiler Collection
		binutils	The Linker, Assembler and other tools
		gdb		The GNU debugger

	Shells
		bash		The Bourne Again Shell
		tcsh		The C Shell

     etc.

I think that both of these would make setup.exe much more useful to the
first time installer.  Probably we could then stop the "download
everything" default that is going to become more unmanageable as the
distribution grows.

Any volunteers?  I'd love to do this myself but I really don't have the
time. (tm)  Or, hmm.  Maybe I don't understand the Windows API well enough
to do this?  (tm)