Exporting symbols from a .exe

I know that in a past life I was able to export symbols from a normal
executable without too much work.

If I do something like the following, however, 'foo' never shows up as an
exported symbol:

int __declspec(dllexport)
foo()
{
  return 1;
}

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  puts ("hello world");
}

The above produces an executable file with an exported "foo" function
when linked with Visual C.  foo() never seems to be exported when linked
with the current binutils, though.

So, this is a bug, right?  I could really use this functionality for an
performance improvement idea that I have for Cygwin.