stat_worker patch and suggestion

Hi!

August 12, 1999 Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com wrote:

>>  Attached patch make stat functions recognize UNC paths as remote. It
>>speeds up fstat operations on remote drives, which are not mapped to
>>drive letters.

CF> Does this patch still operate correctly with the old "\\a" style method
CF> for handling drives?

if you mean paths like \\.\c:\temp\ then answer is "yes" -- it treats
them as local ones. Are there any other possible UNC notation? Current
implementation of stat_worker relies on the fact that first symbol of
win32 name is drive letter. Generally, it's not true.

>>BTW, what do you think of providing porters with some sort of "lite"
>>versions of stat functions? Retrieving all stat information isn't
>>always necessary, and opening file to get it's st_ino and scanning
>>directory to get st_nlinks are quite time-consuming operations.

CF> I don't know how this could be used.  Would you define stat as
CF> "stat_lite" when you compile an application?

no, it would be too straightforward. Application may still need to have
st_ino and st_nlinks sometimes. I meant that when porting application
one could choose between slow and informative stat and fast stat_lite,
if application don't need those specific fields. I've tried to
recompile midnight commander replacing stat with stat_lite in
directory-loading code -- it runs several times faster, especially on
slow network drives. Whether to do such substitution global for all
application or not -- it's up to porter.