Re: HEADSUP: New getent tool to read passwd and group data

On Feb 21 22:42, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 21 16:20, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> > > From:  Corinna Vinschen

> > > Administrator, which the user can set any which way in passwd.
> > > [...]
> > > only the fixed values determined by the mapping from Windows?
> > >
> > > You should not have to expect a name change for the SYSTEM and the
> > > Administrators account.  It should be entirely sufficient to check for the user
> > > Administrator and the user SYSTEM or +SYSTEM.
> >
> > Is that independent of local language?
>
> SYSTEM, yes, Administrators, no, unfortunately.
>
> > > If you really want to check
> > > by SID, feel free to enumerate all accounts by just omitting the username and
> > > scan for the SID you're looking for:
> >
> > >   $ getent passwd | grep ',S-1-5-32-544:'
> > >
> > >   $ getent group | grep ':S-1-5-18:'
> >
> > OK, thanks, that will work.
> > We have had cases of people in very large organizations trying to build the password with mkpasswd -d and that ended up taking hours. Won't the above run in the same issue?  This needs to run in postinstall.
>
> It depends on the "db_enum" nsswitch.conf settings.  Did you read my
> text about the change by any chance?  If not, see my latest version
> here: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00585.html
>
> Yes, it might take time, even though the LDAP queries should be slightly
> faster than the NetUserEnum call before.  Therefore it would make more
> sense to check for the uid/gid values 18 and 544, IMHO.

For the records:

I prepared the Cygwin DLL to allow fetching passwd and group entries by
SID, and I have a new version of getent ready for upload which allows
to fetch passwd and group entries by SID:

  $ getent passwd S-1-5-32-544
  $ getent group S-1-5-18

This also works with the current file-only based passwd/group handling,
but the change requires at least the upcoming Cygwin 1.7.29.

So, if you want to use getent with SIDs, just wait a couple more days
until we released 1.7.29.

Thanks,

Red Hat