Re: question on dll versioning

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:36:51 +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
> Hi,
> just noted on latest upstream glpk that version bumped from
>
>    libglpk_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 32:0:32
>    libglpk_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 33:0:0

Which would indicate that they dropped or incompatibly changed an
existing interface.

> This of course will bump the shared lib from
>    /usr/bin/cygglpk-0.dll
>    /usr/bin/cygglpk-33.dll
>
> Question :
> are we following
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html
>
> or instead
>    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/versioning.html

This is generally an upstream decision, not a distro policy.  As long
as upstream is consistently and correctly following one versioning
scheme, then you shouldn't need to interfere.  FWIW, since many (most?)
shared libraries are built with libtool, they generally follow the
scheme suggested thereby; those built with cmake are more likely to be
sequentially versioned.

OTOH, mistakes do happen, so if nothing about ABI/API breakage is
mentioned in the documentation, I would double-check to make sure the
change was necessary.  (Ahem, openmpi.)

Yaakov