Re: RFU dos2unix 6.0.2-1

Warren Young schreef op 2012-09-11 03:12:

On 9/7/2012 5:07 PM, Erwin Waterlander wrote:

Warren Young schreef, Op 8-9-2012 0:00:

On 9/7/2012 2:14 PM, Erwin Waterlander wrote:

For Cygwin the commands 'd2u' and 'u2d' have been added.
?? $ which d2u /usr/bin/d2u $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/d2u
dos2unix-6.0.1-1 So what does this change do again?
Before May 2011 dos2unix for Cygwin came from the Cygutils package.
Cygutils also provided the commands d2u and u2d. For convenience this
package also provides the commands d2u and u2d for those people who got
used to these commands. On Linux this dos2unix package does not provide
these commands. Does this answer your question?

Not exactly, no, but I think I see the confusion: the part I quoted
above is part of your standard boilerplate for a release announcement,
not part of the list of changes in this new release. Correct?

Yes.

In other words, I got the impression from your RFU message that d2u and
u2d were new commands in this latest release.

I only mention this because it is a difference with distributions for Linux. Cygwin aims to be Linux-like. So next time I will leave out this information and I hope the d2u/u2d commands will be forgotten. I think it would even be better if d2u and u2d where not part of the package. People can always create personal aliases if they insist on having these shorthand commands. I recommend to not use d2u/u2d in scripts.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/