Re: 256x256 px icons

> On Jul 29 03:14, Warren Young wrote:
>> Is there official vector logo art I can use?
> I don't think so, sorry.

Okay, here's my take:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/traced-icon.svg

This should probably be archived somewhere on cygwin.com. I won't guarantee hosting for it.

I'd prefer to go for a lone C in the <= 32x32 sizes.

Here's a combined icon -- same 5 sizes as before -- based on the new vector logo, with the two parts individually stroked for contrast against both light and dark backgrounds:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/stroked.ico

Here's a version with heavy chiseled bevels and shadows added:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/beveled.ico

It only includes a 256 px version, since it's too much detail to work at small sizes. You'd want to fill in the smaller sizes with a simpler style, like the stroked C or the plain Konsole.

The bevel depth and style can of course be varied, as can the shadow angle, opacity, etc. If you don't like it but can describe what you'd like better, I'll take a shot at creating it.

Here are some 3-D variants of the Cygwin logo, one inside the Konsole terminal frame for MinTTY, and one with the logo alone for broader purposes:

    http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/mintty-icon/3d.ico
    http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/3d.ico

Again, 256 px only, for detail reasons.

What if the green glow around the black C glows a bit more?

Try this on:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/glowing.ico

It's not bad, but I prefer the stroked variants.

Incidentally, while doing that, I went and made a layered, rasterized Konsole icon from the original SVG. This is how the 3D Cygwin logo in the Konsole frame has the same glare overlay as the original icon.

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/mintty-icon/konsole-icon-layered.psd

I checked, and Gimp does seem to render it correctly, even though it wasn't created that way.