Re: setup and mintty (was Re: New setup.exe release?)

On May 26 08:00, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 25 May 2011 16:51, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> I think common usage is to give shortcuts rather a complete name.
> >> That's also better if people move them around, placing a copy on the
> >> desktop etc.
> >> And since bash shell runs in both command windows (is that a common
> >> name?), I think the previous proposal "Cygwin Console" and "Cygwin
> >> Terminal" is the best to distinguish them.
> >
> > I'm wondering if renaming the shortcuts is wise.
> >
> > New users should get the new shortcuts, but what about users who just
> > update Cygwin? ÂIf we rename the shortcuts, existing users will
> > have both check buttons in the last dialog checked again, even if they
> > already had installed the "old" shortcuts before.
> >
> > Alternatively setup could test for the old and the new shortcut names,
> > and only install if neither the old, nor the new ones exist.
>
> Gah, this is surprisingly difficult.
>
> How about:
>
> - Don't rename the desktop shortcut, leaving it as "Cygwin". This
> means that it won't change for users that already have one, nor will
> they get another desktop shortcut. Only newly created desktop
> shortcuts would point at mintty, resulting in a somewhat more phased
> introduction instead of springing it on users, which seems a prudent
> thing to do.

Agreed.

> - Offer the start menu item creation unless either "Console" or
> "Terminal" is present in the Cygwin folder. If requested, remove
> "Cygwin Bash Shell" and create "Console" and "Terminal". (Add "Cygwin"
> prefixes according to taste. I think anyone who moves the shortcuts
> elsewhere would be quite capable of renaming them if they feel the
> need to.)

Ooh, no.  I really don't like the idea to offer two start menu entries
by default.  I'm not sure a lot of people even have a vague
understanding what the difference between "console" and "terminal" is.
If in doubt, I bet most people will choose the alphabetically first
entry without reading or thinking, quite along the lines of
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000062.html

If we really do that, the name of the console entry should be last, and
ugly, so that people choose the "Cygwin Terminal" entry with a higher
probability.   "Windows Console window with a bash within, only use if
you must" or something.

Red Hat